Ahram Online, Tuesday 12 Jul 2011
Tahrir square (Photo by Mai Shaheen)
As the sun was setting, tens of thousands of protesters began marching in Tahrir Square, responding to an invitation for a million-man march that is planned to head towards the cabinet office.
Some of the protesters chanted slogans against the Ministry of Interior and the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF).
Others called on Field Marshal, and de-facto president, Hussein Tantawi to step down.
Traffic in downtown Cairo has not been blocked so far despite the increasing number of demonstrators.
Mohamed Adel, spokesman of the April 6 Youth Movement, says there is no intention to block traffic or to call for civil disobedience.
On the other hand, Bothaina Kamel, TV presenter and the only female presidential candidate, took one of the podiums to say: “The Mogamma [the largest governmental administrative building in Egypt] will be opened on Wednesday and Thursday [as previously announced] in order for those who intend to go on pilgrimage or Umrah to be able to finish their paperwork."
Ahmed Ezzat, member of the Popular Committees for Defence of the Revolution, said: “After today’s protest we are planning to start other marches tomorrow from working class neighborhoods, including Imbaba.
“We are not worried over the possibility of losing public support; when we staged a sit-in in protest against the appointment of Ahmed Shafik as prime minister we were less than a thousand. But eventually we achieved what we were after and were praised by everyone.
“Now there are thousands in the current sit-in, which means we are on the right track.”